Blog Archive

BOMA MARTINS AKPORE...RUNWAY MAYOR

Modeling is certainly an art and as far as glamour and popularity are concerned it equals the resplendence and exquisiteness of the tinsel world. Unlike the artists of the tinsel world, models are to a certain extent confined to the interior phantasmagoria of ramps, catwalks or studios, though the current trends indicate otherwise. This is the only career where you sashaying means much more.

Modeling today has become one of the most sought after career options for youngsters in Worldwide.
A thrilling as well as lucrative profession, in Nigeria, the story is no different...One of such fast rising models who has taken the international stage by storm is BOMA MARTINS AKPORE.


After several stellar seasons on the Nigerian runways and campaigns with MTN, Nokia, Emmy Collins to mention but a few, Boma has by far become one of the reference points in the Nigerian modeling industry.

Yours truly had a close encounter with the RUNWAY MAYOR...Enjoy the the chat...

BOMA:
Modeling is from the inside,it's an inborn talent, no matter how much you try,you can't have it if u dont have it; it takes courage, good behaviour, good physic, good faciall structure to be a good model. Its a complete package.

BACKGROUND- I Finished from St' Gregory's College Ikoyi, Lagos. I have a diploma in human kinetics and health education from the University Of Lagos [unilag], am presently an undergraduate studing human kinetics and health education in Unilag.

INSPIRATION- first and foremost, it's GOD Almighty who gave me the strenght to be who i am today, then, Tyson Beckford [world super model] ,Osha [Nigerian supermodel], Otu Ekong [Nigerian supermodel]...all of these people paved the way for Nigerian male models. One thing i have come to discover is you can be who ever you dream to be, so long as you are discilined, focused, determined and consistent.


STARTING OUT- i started modeling in 2003, i got a job on my first casting which was the 1st ever MTN 'yhello' advert, i was introduce into modeling by my frend who is now a presenter, illryzm. I went to apple house modeling agency, where i learnt catwalk and from there,it hasnt been bed of roses to be very honest, but then again, nothing good comes easy. It is a build of various challenges and trials but when you keep holding on, it will certainly pay off, one thing i have come to know is, challenges are the propellers for the next phase of our success, thats why i dream, i sleep it, i eat it...cos with its departure comes the next level.

CHALLENGES- even if i told you it was easy, would you belive me?[lol]. Anyway, truly, it wasnt bed of roses at all, i went to a very competitive modeling agency. I never won model of the week in my class throughout my training days at the agency, there finer, smarter and crazier models who've got their acts together, who understand the terraine and sure knows how to use the ability to make it tops, but i never gave in. I believed so strong in my own abilities so much so that when you are meetingme for the first time, you would misinterprete it for arrogance. I went for catwalk training every sunday, when my other colleagues were probarbly lounging away somewhere enjoying their weekend. Going for castings and not getting picked could be very painful, much more disappointing but still, my eyes were set on the prize. I had a goal and i knew that even if it tarries, i was going to get it someway, somehow, someday! I kept it...amfd then it came...The most memorable moments of my modeling career...being CROWNED KING OF THE NIGERIAN RUNWAY.
Today, i do not only model in Nigeria, but i have modeled in South Africa, Ghana, London, The U.S.A. and some other major fashion cities around the world. When i look back, i have this smile on my face and i tell myself, bring on the heat, bring on more challenges because i know with the entrant of challenges comes greater glory.

MOST EMBARRASING MOMENT: the most embarasing moment of my career was wen i was casted out of thisday fashion show because the woman incharge thought i was arrogant. Like i said earlier, i am my number one fan, i believe that the 'impossible' is just a word and does not exist in practicality, hence, i can be whoever i want to be but again, some people fail to understand this concept and assume me as arrogant.

FUTURE PLANS- i still want to concentrate on modeling for now,because i still want to rule the industry for a while. I want to write my name in the history books as oen of the greatest models to ever come out of Nigeria. I still want to go into acting, presentation. I already have my own entertainment company, Bonzy Blues which am presently committed to. I wont let the cat out of the bag, but its a major concept that will revolutionize the world of modeling in Nigeria and give the industry a whole new line of direction; for now...lets just keep the fingers crossed and watch...lol.

ADVISE- my advice to the upcoming models is to be themselves, dont get into drugs, belive in yourself, stay strong ,and always pray to GOD to show you the way. Models who have presently found their spot should stay focused and keep dreaming higher.